Boy, 7, had skin on his head removed after suffering severe ringworm infection

Do you have Ringworm? Check the symptoms

Mum Kayleigh Blair, 32, first noticed a “big red circle” on her little boy’s head after a barber shaved his hair.

“I thought he had alopecia,” Kayleigh from Stirling, Scotland, said. “But we went straight to the pharmacist who confirmed it was ringworm.”

Having never heard of it before, Kayleigh followed the pharmacist’s advice to apply medicated cream to her seven-year-old’s head.

She said: “The pharmacist gave us cream, but there was no progress and his head was getting worse and began to crust.”

A few weeks later, while her boy was playing with his friend in the park, an accident occurred.

READ MORE… How to get rid of ringworm – the 6 ways to stop ringworm

“One boy fell into him and elbowed him in the side of the head,” said Kayleigh.

“Because the skin on his head was so fragile, it ripped open and we had to rush to A&E.

“But his skin was too soft for stitches and the medics realised that the infection was really bad underneath.”

Kayleigh told the Daily Record medics had to remove half the skin on the side of Connel’s head and clean it out before putting it back on and bandaging up his head.

Don’t miss…
James Martin’s horrific ‘heart attack’ experience was a wake-up call[LATEST]
Could Sir David Attenborough’s dietary change lead to longevity[CELEB HEALTH]
Nurse’s first three symptoms of cancer which were mistaken for IBS[SYMPTOMS]

  • Support fearless journalism
  • Read The Daily Express online, advert free
  • Get super-fast page loading

Connel had to be sedated because he was so scared, and while he is still recovering from the ordeal, and still on anti-fungal medication, he is still suffering.

“He obviously can’t get his haircut until it heals, but even then he is petrified of stepping into a barber shop again and I will have to cut his hair from now on,” Kayleigh said, who believes Connel caught the infection from the barber’s.

Having complained to Stirling Council, a spokesperson confirmed: “We are aware of the matter and have visited the premises.

“Our Environmental Health team has responsibility for ensuring businesses in the area adhere to relevant health and safety legislation.”

A spokesperson for the barber’s shop said: “I believe that the boy did not get the ringworm from us and the reason is that we take all precautions.

“We follow all the hygiene guidelines, and the council photographed some of the sanitising materials we use on a daily basis.”

The business owner said: “The parent excluded all possibilities that the child could have gotten it from school, from friends or being outdoors.”

The NHS says ringworm is caused by a type of fungi. It can be passed on through close contact with:

  • An infected person or animal
  • Infected objects, such as bedsheets, combs or towels
  • Infected soil, although this is less common.

Ringworm looks like a ring-shaped rash that can appear anywhere on the body; if on the head, it may lead to patchy hair loss.

Source: Read Full Article