New research has revealed the UK areas with the highest and lowest STI rates.
It appears the rates of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) has soared in recent years, with 317,901 new diagnoses during the year 2020 alone.
Of the more common STIs in the UK these include chlamydia, genital herpes, genital warts and gonorrhoea.
READ MORE STD expert says you should never brush teeth two hours before or after oral sex
Health experts at FROM MARS have analysed data to reveal the areas in England with the highest and lowest number of STI cases, as well as highlight where certain infections are more common across the country.
To find out the riskiest places to have casual sex in England, FROM MARS looked at each local authority and their diagnostic rates per 100,000 for chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis, genital warts and genital herpes.
They then created a normalised score out of 10 to uncover which places are most at risk of catching an STI, with a score closer to 10 having the highest risk.
Highest areas for STIs
Why do I get a morning erection? 3 scientific reasons for your morning glory
Unfortunately for those who are based in the capital, the top 10 STI hotspots in the country are all in London, according to the research.
Lambeth has the highest number of confirmed chlamydia cases in the country with 1,171 cases per 100,000 people.
This is followed by Southwark with a STI score of 9.94.
Hammersmith and Fulham have the highest number of genital warts cases in the country at 160.20 per 100,000 people.
Here is the full top 10 list:
- Lambeth, London, 9.99
- Southwark, 9.94
- Hammersmith and Fulham, 9.88
- Tower Hamlets, London, 9.84
- Wandsworth, London, 9.79
- Hackney, London, 9.78
- Islington, London, 9.78
- Westminster, London, 9.77
- Kensington and Chelsea, London, 9.75
- Haringey, London, 9.70
Lowest areas for STIs
According to the research, Craven in Yorkshire and the Humber have the lowest cases of STIs with a score of 0.29.
This was followed by Ryedale also in Yorkshire and the Humber with 0.69.
Ryedale has the lowest number of gonorrhoea cases in the country with five cases per 100,000 people, while Craven has no recorded Syphilis cases.
Here is a full list of the cities with the lowest rates:
- Craven, Yorkshire and the Humber, 0.29
- Ryedale, Yorkshire and the Humber, 0.69
- Vale of the White Horse, 0.72
- Copeland, North West, 0.99
- East Lindsey, East Midlands, 1.15
- Hambleton, Yorkshire and the Humber, 1.15
- North Norfolk, East of England, 1.19
- West Oxfordshire, South East, 1.31
- Mendip, South West, 1.33
- Selby, Yorkshire and the Humber, 1.34
If you suspect you may be suffering with an STI it's important to speak to either your GP or a sexual health clinic about the necessary steps you need to take.
- 'OnlyFans ruined my love life – men call me easy but I haven't had sex in years'
- Best sex positions for those with smaller penises – and how to do them
- Women increasingly hooked on porn but it's making them fear sex, health experts warn
Ex-bodybuilder exposes reality of sport after 'starving for months and killing myself'
Source: Read Full Article